2021 DR-Z400SM Overview
There was an error loading these images. please try again later!
Suzuki's Supermotard model, based on the proven DR-Z400S, combines Supermotard style and features in a narrow, lightweight, street-legal package
Versatile and strong, 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine has push-button starting
SuperMoto boasts fully adjustable MX-style suspension plus high-grip sportbike tires on strong spoke wheels featuring anodized, aluminum Excel rims
Solid Black or Solid Special White No. 2 bodywork with new, angular graphics complement the motorcycle’s styling
Lightweight, 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine produces strong, tractable power.
Compact, four-valve cylinder head has 36mm intake valves, 29mm exhaust valves, narrow 28-degree included valve angle, and shim-under-bucket valve adjustment system.
Simple electric starting is powered via a lightweight starter motor with an automatic mechanical decompression system.
SCEM-plated cylinder (nickel-silicon-phosphorus) is lighter and more durable than an iron liner and has excellent heat transfer properties.
Forged aluminum piston is 10 percent lighter than a cast piston and receives additional oil-cooling through a crankcase oil jet.
Fed by a six-liter air box, the Mikuni™ 36mm carburetor incorporates a deceleration enricher circuit to help provide smooth throttle response when accelerating or engine braking.
The left side body cover has quick-release fasteners for easy access to the air filter.
The use of a PAIR (air supply) system to the exhaust helps the motorcycle achieve emissions compliance without affecting performance.
Thermostatically-controlled cooling fan mounted to the left radiator helps maintain consistent operating temperature in traffic.
Magnesium-alloy clutch, magneto, and cylinder head covers contribute to the bike’s low weight.
Compact, five-speed transmission utilizes a cable-operated clutch with a separate magnesium outer cover for simplified clutch maintenance.
Low-maintenance, long-life, sealed O-ring type drive chain produces minimal sounds when riding.
Wide black anodized RK Excel aluminum rims with stainless steel spokes are fitted with sporty radial tires: 120/70-R17 front and 140/70-R17 rear.
Strong braking performance is supplied by a front disc brake with a large 300mm floating-type rotor and dual-piston caliper, plus a 240mm rear disc brake with single-piston caliper.
Long travel, Showa inverted front fork is derived from a RM250 and features adjustable compression/rebound damping and a special coating on inner tube surfaces for smooth action.
A fully adjustable rear shock absorber with high/low speed compression damping adjuster and a tapered RM-inspired aluminum swingarm combine for precise rear wheel control.
Renthal tapered aluminum handlebar has an aggressive look, reduces vibration, and has a great bend for spirited riding.
Chrome-moly steel frame tuned for Supermotard style riding is torsionally strong with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank.
A bolt-on aluminum sub-frame helps reduce weight, simplify maintenance, and contribute to the trim rear fender appearance.
Front and rear axle sliders, and special designed mirrors that rotate, help protect against damage in the case of a tip-over.
A pouch on the rear fender carries the tool kit, owner’s manual, or other cargo.
Compact, digital instrument cluster includes speedometer, odometer, twin-trip meters with addition/subtraction capability, clock, and stopwatch functions.
On-road legal lighting includes bright 60/55-watt halogen headlight, compact tail/stoplight, lightweight, rubber-mounted turn signals, and horn.
Electrical systems, including the easy-push button starter, are powered by a compact, 6.5-amp, maintenance-free battery.
12-month unlimited mileage limited warranty. Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).**Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in the New On-Road Motorcycle Limited Warranty.
A variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories for DR-Z400SM owners are available, including a low-profile seat, cargo rack, handguard set, and a large selection of Suzuki logo apparel.
- Engine398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke90.0 mm x 62.6 mm (3.54 in. x 2.44 in.)
- Compression Ratio11.3:1
- Fuel SystemMikuni BSR36, single carburetor
- LubricationSemi-dry sump
- Transmission5-speed constant mesh
- ClutchWet multi-plate
- Final DriveChain, RK520KZ0, 110 links
- Suspension FrontInverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable damping force
- Suspension RearLink type, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable spring preload and damping force
- Brakes FrontDisc brake, single floating rotor
- Brakes RearDisc brake, single rotor
- Tires Front120/70 R17 M/C 58H, tube type
- Tires Rear140/70 R17 M/C 66H, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity10.0 L (2.6 US gal.) / 9.5 L (2.5 US gal.) CA model
- ColorSolid Black or Solid Special White No. 2
- IgnitionElectronic ignition (CDI)
- Spark PlugNGK CR8E or DENSO U24ESR-N
- Headlight12V 60/55W (H4)
- Tail Light12V 21/5W
- Overall Length2225 mm (87.6 in.)
- Overall Width855 mm (33.7 in.)
- Overall Height1200 mm (47.2 in.)
- Wheelbase1460 mm (57.5 in.)
- Ground Clearance260 mm (10.2 in.)
- Seat Height890 mm (35.0 in.)
- Curb Weight146 kg (322 lb.)
- Warranty12-month unlimited mileage limited warranty
- ExtensionLonger coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP)